Family photo sessions are a wonderful opportunity to capture the love, joy, and connection within your family. To ensure that your experience is smooth, enjoyable, and results in stunning photos that you’ll cherish for years to come, a little preparation goes a long way. From grooming to snacks and everything in between, here’s a comprehensive pre-session preparation checklist to guide you through the process.
1. Grooming and Wardrobe:
- Hair and Makeup: Schedule haircuts, trims, and styling a few days before the session. For makeup, opt for a natural look that enhances your features.
- Clothing Selection: Plan coordinating outfits for your family that reflect your personal style. Avoid overly trendy choices that might date the photos. Stick to a color palette that complements each other and the chosen location.
- Accessories: Consider adding accessories like hats, scarves, or jewelry that add personality to your ensemble.
- Nails: Check for chipped nail polish and consider a fresh manicure if desired.
2. Snacks and Hydration:
- Snacks: Pack light, non-messy snacks to keep everyone energized during the session. Think granola bars, nuts, or fruit.
- Water: Bring a water bottle for quick hydration breaks, especially if your session takes place outdoors.
3. Comfort for Children:
- Naps: Schedule the session during a time when your children are well-rested and most likely to be cooperative.
- Favorite Toys: Bring along a couple of your child’s favorite toys or comfort items to help them feel at ease.
- Change of Clothes: If you have younger children, packing an extra set of clothes is always a good idea in case of spills or accidents.
4. Location-Specific Considerations:
- Footwear: Choose appropriate footwear based on the location. If you’re shooting in a park, for example, comfortable shoes for walking might be necessary.
- Weather Preparedness: Check the weather forecast and dress accordingly. Bring jackets, umbrellas, or any other items that might be needed for unexpected weather changes.
5. Special Items:
- Props: If you have any props you’d like to include in the photos, such as a family quilt or a favorite book, make sure to bring them along.
- Special Outfits: If you have special outfits for specific shots, like matching holiday-themed pajamas or formal wear, pack them separately.
6. Timing and Logistics:
- Arrival Time: Aim to arrive a little early to the session location to allow for any unexpected delays.
- Travel Considerations: Plan your route and account for traffic to ensure a stress-free journey to the location.
7. Relax and Have Fun:
- Attitude: Keep a positive attitude and remember that family photo sessions are meant to be enjoyable. Relax, have fun, and let your natural interactions shine through.
- Embrace Spontaneity: While some posing may be involved, also be open to capturing candid moments that truly represent your family dynamic.
By following this pre-session preparation checklist, you’ll set the stage for a successful family photo session that’s sure to yield beautiful, authentic, and heartwarming images. Remember, the goal is to capture the essence of your family’s love and connection, so let your personalities shine and enjoy this memorable experience.
How do you want to get married? Where? Who do you want to be there? Think about it, talk it over together. And feel free to reach out anytime if I can help as your wedding or elopement plans come together.